Russet potatoes are popular for being flexible as the main vegetable in different recipes. There are dozens of potato recipes ranging from boiled potatoes to fried and then roasted potatoes. Roasted potatoes may be prepared in various ways by adding different spices and seasoning. Here, we look at one common recipe that is unarguably delicious and easy to make – healthy, oven-roasted potatoes.
For this recipe, you need the following:
- Russet potatoes (2 pounds are enough, but you can adjust the quantity according to your needs). Leave the skin intact.
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons. Again, adjust to your needs)
- Spices. You can use Oregano, Thyme, Curry, Sage, Rosemary, Parsley, or your favorite herbs. Als, find some garlic.
- Seasoning. Get salt and pepper to taste. You could skip the salt if you are on a diet that requires it.
- Preheat the oven to about 4200F. This is important so that the potatoes do not spend some time in the cold oven before heating up and risk getting soggy.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Wash them unpeeled and leave them to dry. Carefully remove any rough parts, and if individual pieces are too large, you can divide them equally.
- Arrange the potato pieces on a baking dish, then sprinkle the seasoning and spices over them. Make sure they are evenly spread to cover every part. Also, add the olive oil in drops, so the whole mixture remains moist. Use a large spatula or spoon to gently toss the potatoes so that they are evenly coated with the olive oil and spices.
- Put the uncovered baking dish in the oven and allow the potatoes to bake. Check the temperature to avoid overcooking or burning them. The cooking time is between 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check the dish regularly to ensure even heating; use the spatula to turn the potatoes.
- Serving: Oven-baked potato is soft when done. You can then remove it from the dish and serve with your favorite ketchup, sauce, or toppings. You may also decide to serve the baked potatoes alone without the extras.
Russet potatoes are recommended because they are sweet, firm, and chewy. This species of potatoes is the most popular for a good reason –a lot of recipes use it. It is also a safe option for diets that require carbohydrates in special proportions.